Sunday 28 August 2011

Recommended Reading: Hundred Years


I often pick books by Norwegian authors when I am home in Norway, 
and while on holidays I read Herbjorg Wassmo's book 'Hundred Years' which came out in 2009.

I enjoy Herbjorg's historical novels and in particular this grand and epic book about several generations of women in her family from 1842 to 1942 when she herself was born. 
In short, the book is about 4 generations of women, their lives, the men they wanted, the men the got and their children. 

Although, I feel some parts of the story was not necessary I enjoyed the family saga parts and felt the more autobiographical parts could have been left out as they left some unanswered questions.

I felt I could relate well to the stories and the lives of these women as my maternal family comes from this area and even further north.
It was at times as if I could 'hear' my own female ancestors talking about the hardship of their lives. A hard life in many ways because of the nature and climate, but also with lots of warmth and sense of community.

It is a grand novel I highly recommend.

4 comments:

  1. Takk for tips, lenge siden jeg har lest noe av Wassmo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeg har vel ikke lest noe av henne, tror jeg. ER litt sløv for tiden, har ikke kommet meg helt ut av sommermodus og orker nesten ikke LESE blogger en gang, langt mindre blogge sjøl. Men det tar seg vel opp utover høsten :)
    Har forresten bestilt såpe-utstyr hos Panduro, så det blir nok lavendelsåper av buketten min :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Den har jeg faktisk ikke lest. Takk for tips. Må skrive den på biblioteklista mi.Ønskerd deg en fin ny uke.
    Klem

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dette er en bok som står på den lista over bøker som jeg burde lest for lengst....

    ReplyDelete

Pinterest