Monday 29 August 2011

Bank Holiday and Recipe Request


The last Monday of August is the traditional last bank holiday of the year. 
Often considered a nice way to round off the summer? 
The weather has not been too great here, a bit on the chilly and windy side. 
But it doesn't matter! 

Our Spanish friends are approaching the end of their annual visit and I met up with them for a lovely Spanish lunch in their camper van followed by a walk in the blustery weather. You might recall our meeting last year. This time they invited me to see the camping site and their lovely camper van. I was so impressed! Camping sure has changed since I was a kid...!

As we agreed todays meeting late last night I didn't have time to prepare anything elaborate to bring with me, so I quickly made some Norwegian 'lefser' and brought as a dessert. Sounds grander than it is, these are semi-ready packs I brought back from Norway this summer - Our Boy loooooves them. 
So, there was little for me to do, except moisten them and add butter, sugar and cinnamon on them. 
They were a great success!

I still have some packs of 'lefse' left, but I really should learn to make them myself as they go quickly in this house! I remember my mother's cousin used to make for Christmas (my mother would make another cake - 'krumkaker' - and then they would swap) and how she used to elaborate on how much work they were... 

Hmmm... does anybody have a good recipe for 'lefser' they are willing to share?

4 comments:

  1. Svigermor og hennes søster nordfra lager noen herlige, myke lefser hver jul. Himmelsk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeg har en god oppskrift på noe vi kaller nordlandslefsser, men etter bildet å dømme, ser det ikke ut til å være det du mener. De jeg mener kjevles runde ca 15 cm i diameter,0,5 cm tykke og stekes på takke. To legges oppå hverandre med krem av smør, melis og kakao i midten. Hmm...kanskje jeg skulle steke sånne snart, veldig lenge siden sist. De er kjempegode til kaffen og kan fryses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Det er forskjell på lefser, ja :) De tjukke med smør, sukker og kanel på har jeg ikke noe peiling på. Tynne potetlefser som vi spiser til ribba og julepølsene har jeg bakt 1 gang, men trenger nok masse trening. Søk på tjukklefse gir deg kanskje noen gode svar?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Skulle gjerne ha hjulpet deg, men lefser har jeg aldri bakt. Bare kjøpt... Er vel sånn Vestlandslefse som du fukter som du bruker? De har jo lang holdbarhet.
    Ille gøtt da :)

    ReplyDelete

Pinterest