Thursday 29 April 2010

Crisp Bread or "Knekkebrød"

http://www.tv2underholdning.no/suntoggodt/mimmis-knekkebroed-2689746.html
Last night I watched "Jamie Oliver in Stockholm" where he was making various Scandinavian dishes (or his take on them) and was delighted to see that he baked crisp bread - very similar to what I had done just a couple of hours before! ;-)

Knekkebrød is one of the things I miss and I can't get the variety here in England as we have in Norway. I was therefore delighted and very inspired when I saw Dentinista making crisp bread (knekkebrød).
It is soooo easy! And very tasty.
No more Ryvita for me!

I more or less stuck to this recipe and the translation for non-Norwegian speakers is here:

3.5 dl rye flour (as coarse as possible)
3.5 dl oatmeal
1.5 dl sesame seeds
2 dl sunflower seeds
1 dl linseed
1 dl wheatgerm
1 dl walnuts - if you want (I didn't have)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp honey (mix it in the water)
7 dl water

Mix well.
I found it was a bit too much water, but I just added some more of the other ingredients to get the right consistency.
Spread the mixture onto two trays lined with baking parchement
Bake at 180 degrees for 10 mins.
Take them out and cut with a pizza knife into the size you want your crispbread
Put them back into the oven and bake for another 30 mins.
I then took them off the baking parchment and baked them on the grill till they were crisp.

So healthy and so nice! 

3 comments:

  1. Så kjekt å se at du har fått laget knekkebrødene og at de falt smak... i mitt miljø spiser "alle" disse for tiden..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enig med deg - knekkebrød er bare tingen! Men jeg har ikke kommet så langt at jeg har laget dette selv - her går det i kjøpebrød. men du har ikke tilfeldigvis oppskriften på norsk??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mette, you are a marvel! How do you find the time to accomplish so many things ... !

    ReplyDelete

Pinterest