Thursday 18 March 2010

Tomato Soup

Picture borrowed from http://www.godine.co.uk

I had a lovely time with The Ladies Who Dine last night. However, due to my cold I was truly a "blind" cook as I couldn't taste ANYTHING. A bit strange to serve food you don't know what tastes like - you just have to go on experience... However, they assured me it was all nice and requests for the recipe must be a good sign!

Here is the recipe for the tomato soup I served as a starter with some (bought) foccaccia bread. It is really simple and has no specific measurements. It tends to be a bit different every time I make it depending on what I have in the fridge…:


  • Fry some chopped onion/garlic/leeks/celery in very little oil (I use virtually no oil so this is really low cal!)

  • Add a couple of packs of passata (you get them in the tinned tomato section of the supermarket). I used the basil and olive type.

  • Add a tin of tomato paste

  • Add a tin of tinned tomatos

  • Add water to adjust thickness

  • Add a little salt/pepper

  • Add a little sugar (enforces the taste of the tomatoes)

  • Add a couple of slices of day old bread
Let it cook for 10-15 mins (or more if you have time).
I made the soup the day before so the flavours had time to blend.

Blitz it all with a blitzer

If you have, add some parsley/coriander, if you like either before or after blitzing depending on how you like it.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm, tomato soup sounds very tempting right now (with a slightly sore throat)! Thank you for very nice comment, Sambo was sorry he was so sceptic;)

    ReplyDelete

Pinterest