Wednesday 13 July 2011

Tip for Visiting the UK: Saffron Walden

After sending Our Boy off on his epic hike in the Scottish highlands on Saturday
my Canadian friend and I went to Saffron Walden. 

Our goal was an exhibition of Eric Ravilious and Edward Bawden at the Fry Art Gallery
These are two war artists I was not familiar with and I enjoyed the exhibition. 
The style reminded much of Norwegian 1940s/1950's 'let's-stand-together-and-rebuild-the-country-type-art, if you get what I mean. One could almost be forgiven for getting the feeling it might have been commissioned to give that kind of message. There was also some more whimsical art, both styles very enjoyable. 


The path from the street to the gallery was lush with blooming plants and I found this little bust almost hidden in the hedges. 
We also met the local cat who was extremely affectionate, but not much of a poser for pictures...

;-)


I brought my camera with me and took some pictures of this lovely medieval market town. Some of the old  roofs come down really low to the ground - I am actually standing on the ground taking the two pictures of the moss covered roof tiles (no, at 1.67m I am not a tall giant). 
I must admit was really pleasantly surprised over this lovely little town. 

It is full of little shops and plenty of sales. There is also a cute market in the centre. 
I thought this decoration around the light was rather interesting and I am sure it isn't hard to make something like this myself...!



The city's main car park is kind of hidden inside a park and was one of the nicest car parks I have ever come across - never thought I would say that! 
On our way back to the car park we passed this lovely, lush garden and I quickly snatched a picture...

I will come back again soon!

3 comments:

  1. Hagen på det siste bilde var et syn...og det ser ut som dere har hatt en kjempefin utflukt. Sommer og sommeraktiviteter er en fryd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoppas du har det bra i sommarvärmen Mette!
    Den hållaren till ljuset var ju så coolt! Jag älskar det!
    Vilken underbar idé jag ska ut o samla lite kvistar och försöka få ihop en liknande!
    Kram
    /Nellie

    ReplyDelete

Pinterest